You are looking to build a timeless collection! Here are the 12...
If you’re shopping for necklaces, you might come across some labeled as ‘pendants’ – but what actually are they, and how are they different from necklaces?
In this guide, we’re going to go over everything you need to know about pendants: what they are, what they symbolize, and how to choose one that suits your style.
What is a pendant?
A pendant is a necklace with an attached gem, diamond, or other piece of jewelry. The pendant is typically unique, and can sometimes be removed from the necklace if it’s adjustable.
Some pendants can be attached to simple jewelry chains, while other pendant necklaces are attached together, and can’t be removed.
You can find pendants in all different shapes, designs, styles, and sizes: gold pendants, diamond pendants, gemstone pendants, charm pendants, or symbolic pendants.
What does a pendant symbolize?
A pendant on its own doesn’t have any particular symbolism. However, you can attach symbolism to a pendant necklace by selecting one that carries significant meaning, such as:
● Birth gemstone pendants. Gemstone pendants are incredibly popular in both adults and children. Each month of the year has its own official gemstone, and birth gemstone pendants are often gifted as birthday presents.
● Wedding pendants. If their wedding ring no longer fits around their ring finger, many married spouses will wear the ring on a chain necklace around their neck, symbolizing their continued matrimony.
● Diamond pendants. Diamond pendants are incredibly popular, and are often adorned with sapphires, emeralds, and other gemstones.
● Gold pendants. Gold pendants are some of the most luxurious necklaces that you can buy on the market, especially when made with a high purity of gold karat.
● Astrological pendants. While some may find them whimsical, many enjoy astrological pendants, and wear symbols of their astrological signs on a chain necklace.
● Pearl pendants. While the most popular pearl necklace still remains a single strand necklace, many women also wear a chain necklace with a single pearl pendant, with pearl symbolizing healing.
● Crystal pendants. Many wear crystals and quartz pendants around their neck for their alleged spiritual and wellbeing benefits. Common crystal pendants include rose quartz and amethyst.
What's the difference between a necklace and a pendant?
The major difference between a necklace and a pendant is that a necklace can come in many different forms: you can buy single strand necklaces, choker necklaces, layered necklaces. A pendant is unique in that it is the sole attachment on the necklace chain, and is intended to draw attention to the attached piece of jewelry.
Choosing the right pendant
If you’re considering buying a pendant for yourself or a loved one, here are the main considerations to take into account when making a purchase:
How can I measure my partner’s ring size discreetly?
If you’re planning a surprise engagement and you don’t know your partner’s ring size, there are a number of options you can take:
When buying jewelry, it’s never a good idea to skimp on quality. Poorly made jewelry will tarnish easily, and can even leave green or black marks on the skin after being worn. To avoid this, opt for the highest quality soft metals. For example, while some cheap metals may tarnish easily, a 22k gold pendant is an investment purchase, as it will last for years – even decades – if well maintained. 22k gold is the second-highest purity of gold karat, with Indian 22k gold being one of the most vivid, beautiful soft metals in the world.
Jewelry is made to be worn, so it’s always a good idea to think about your own personal style when buying a pendant. If you’re going to be wearing your pendant every day, think about your day-to-day style, and what colors or shapes might go well with your typical ensemble. You can also think about your features; the purpose of a pendant necklace is to draw attention to the attached diamond, charm, or crystal – picking a pendant that corresponds with your eye or hair color can help bring out your natural features.
If you want to give your pendant some sentimental value, you can opt for something with intimate personal meaning. Whether you want to opt for a birth gemstone, a religious pendant, or another crystal or stone that offers you deep personal meaning, wearing a symbolic pendant can help you feel more in–tune with your own personal wellness.